You must select a location to proceed.
There was a problem adding this course to your account. Please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, you can contact our support department at (877) 880-1335.
Adding Registration, Please wait...
You must be logged in to perform this action.
THE LAWYER'S COMPASS: Character, Ethics and Trust in Modern Legal Practice
John E. Moore, PresenterLawyers are different. Our role in society in general, and the legal system in particular, places great responsibility in our hands. Our ethical rules call upon us to exercise that responsibility in a manner that differentiates us positively in our modern world. Despite this opportunity, our profession suffers from ever-declining levels of public perceptions of our value to society and trustworthiness. At the same time, technology and competition threaten professional opportunities.
Our future success and fulfillment reside in learning how to expand trust and confidence in each of us as a practitioner and in our profession in general. Doing so requires a comprehensive review of how each of us can harness the power of trust, the key driver in successful relationships, to enhance our personal and professional lives. The Lawyer's Compass Workshop focuses your attention on the critical interplay between your character and competencies and how they combine to build trust in client relationships. In particular, you will:
- Learn How and Why Trust is the Primary Driver of Success In the Attorney/Client Relationship and in Your Practice
- Discover How Your Character is Derived from Your Values and Actions
- Identify Your Individual Personality Type and How This Guides Your Actions Daily
- Walk-through a Comprehensive Review of the Model Rules of Professional Conduct to Uncover its Inherent System of Values and Aspirations
- Learn Professional Competencies That Will Help You Quickly Build Trust in Client Relationships
- Discover a System for Identifying and Managing the Four Expectations That Every Client Holds in Every Engagement
- Explore How We Derive Congruence, Satisfaction and Contentment in Legal Practice
- Build Your Own Lawyer's Compass to Guide Your Efforts in Building Future Personal and Professional Fulfillment and Success
- Take an Opportunity to Reflect on How to Become “The Aspirational Lawyer”
8:30 A.M. Registration and Coffee
9:00 A.M. Modern Practice and the Demand for Trust
The Practice of Law Today and Tomorrow
- Current State of the Legal Profession: The Three-Dimensional Crisis
and Lack of Trust
- The Future of Work: Technology and Markets Are Causing Radical
Changes to the Nature of Work
Trust Model of Legal Practice: Character and Competency
- Trust and the Lawyer Advisory Relationship
- How Do We Create Trust? Character and Competency
- Values Are the Key to Building Trust
10:30 A.M. Coffee Break
10:45 A.M. Model Rules of Professional Conduct: Our Ethical Framework
- Status and History of the Model Rules of Professional Conduct
- The Role of Values in Ethical Practice
- MRPC Matrix and Underlying Values
- The Broken Compass: The Rule Compliant, Unethical Lawyer
12:15 P.M. Lunch Break (on your own)
1:15 P.M. Generating Trust and Personal Contentment
Becoming a Trust Generator
- Trust Building Professional Competencies
- Exceeding Expectations in the Client Relationship
Contentment Theory: Values, Congruence, Satisfaction and Calling
- Values: Your Foundation
- Congruence: Matching Who You Are to Where You Are
- Satisfaction in Activity: Happiness, Fulfillment and Excellence
- Calling: Where Activity Takes Place for Others
2:45 P.M. Break
3:00 P.M. Building the Lawyer's Compass and The Aspirational Lawyer
- Congruence Theory of the Lawyer's Compass
- What Are Your Values? How Do You Spend Your Time?
- The Lawyer's Compass Tool
- Becoming The Aspirational Lawyer
4:30 P.M. Adjournment
Please make your reservations with the Hilton Indianapolis Hotel and Suites by CLICKING HERE or calling 317.972.0600. Please mention ICLEF when calling to book your reservation. Rates and reservations are subject to availability.