We are pleased to bring the Advanced Appellate Practice program back to the spectacular setting of the historic French Lick Hotel!
Nestled in the beautiful rolling hills of southern Indiana, this is just the getaway you have been needing. It is a grand backdrop for this year's event, as part of the ICLEF Annual Masters Series Conference. Details and accommodation information are below the picture.
This LIVE ONLY program is designed as an advanced-level session for those practitioners who already have a fundamental understanding of the Appeals process. The discussion-oriented curriculum, led by Moderator Maggie Smith and her faculty, will take you deeper into tougher, more challenging matters. Bring your questions and toughest issues too, to share with the group.
Schedule for Thursday, July 14
*Note - Casual Dress for all events!
1:30 P.M. Registration in Conference Center Lobby - Level 1
- pick up materials and name badges
2:00 P.M. Starting the Appellate Journey
Maggie L. Smith, Discussion Leader
- Finality issues (especially 54B/56C entry of partial final judgment)3:30 P.M. Refreshment Break
- Impact of remaining attorney fee hearings on finality
- Stays/appeal bonds
- Rule 37 Remands
- Trial court jurisdiction during appeal
3:45 P.M. 14(B) Interlocutory appeals
Cara S. Wieneke, Discussion Leader
- Strategy for trial court
- Strategy for appellate court
- Process at appellate court
- Deemed denied/belated certification process
5:15 P.M. Adjourn Day One
5:30 P.M. Hosted Reception - Guests Welcome!
7:30 P.M. Free Time
Schedule for Friday, July 15
8:30 A.M. Continental Breakfast
9:00 A.M. Brief Writing
Brian J. Paul, Discussion Leader
- Statement of Issues- deep issue versus one liners
- Statement of Facts- good, better, and best practices
- Argument- best practices; addressing alternative arguments; cross appeals (when proper and when not)
- Substantive difference between COA Briefs, Transfer Briefs, and Amicus Briefs
- Electronic formatting tips (fonts, spacing, headers, etc.)
10:30 A.M. Coffee Break
10:45 A.M. “One-on-One with Judges Molter & Weissmann”
Featuring the Hon. Derek R. Molter and the Hon. Leanna K. Weissmann
- An amazing opportunity to pick the brains of two Court of Appeals
judges who also were leading appellate practitioners before they were
appointed to the bench. Here you will get the chance to ask anything
you’ve really wanted to know about the appellate process, but were too
afraid to ask.
12:15 P.M. Adjourn - Have a nice weekend!
Discounted room rates for the ICLEF Masters Conference are available by calling the resort directly at 1-844-241-6361. Please use Group Code 0722ICL. The "cut-off date" is June 17, 2022. Reservations made after this date will still be accepted based on the hotel's prevailing rate and space availability.
Reservations may also be made online at this direct link: Overnight Reservations for ICLEF Masters Series
SEE YOU THERE!