Category: Law Office Management
, Ethics / Professionalism
, Financial Planning
, General Practice
, ICLEF ONLINE Seminars
, ICLEF Publications - Downloads for Purchase
, Law Firm Employment
, Legal Support Staff Programs
, Paralegal Programs
, Practice Enrichment
, Practice Management (show less)
After you purchase this material it will be downloaded to your ICLEF Online Account. After logging in to your ICLEF Online Account simply click on the "My Account" tab to access the materials.
Note: All ICLEF Publications are protected under © copyright laws of the United States and may not be disseminated, by or through any means, without prior written approval of the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF), 230 East Ohio Street, Suite 300, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 // ph: (317) 637-9102 // fax: (317) 633-8780 // e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
8:30 A.M. Registration & Coffee
8:55 A.M. Welcome & Course Objectives
- Donald R. Hopper, Program Chair
9:00 A.M. Laying the Groundwork: Preparing for Succession Planning and Retirement
- Donald R. Hopper, Moderator; Aline F. Anderson, Jason Gray,
Jeffrey B. Kolb, Kameron H. McQuay, John M. O'Drobinak,
Ted A. Waggoner, Gordon D. Wishard
- Factors that motivate law practice succession planning
- Developing a plan
- Considerations for the 1-2 attorney office
- Challenges faced by the smaller firm in developing a succession plan
- Considerations / Characteristics to look for in an attorney to take over your practice
- Considerations for a law practice in a smaller community
- Considerations for a law practice in a larger / more urban community
- Determining the value of a law practice
- Practical considerations when contemplating retiring from the practice of law
- Preparing Your clients for your retirement
- Preparing your firm for your retirement
10:30 A.M. Coffee Break
10:45 A.M. Law Practice Succession Planning
- Donald R. Hopper
- What is law practice succession planning?
- Why is law practice succession planning needed?
- What are the driving forces in law practice succession planning?
- What are the restraining forces in law practice succession planning?
- What options do you have?
- Developing a succession plan for your practice
- What to plan for in the event of you becoming disabled
- Essential legal documents in law practice succession planning
- Letter of intent (LOI)
- Buy/Sell contractual agreement
12:15 P.M. Lunch Break
1:15 P.M. Valuation of Law Practices
- Kameron H. McQuay, CPA/ABV, CVA
- Does your law practice have any value?
- What factors need to be considered when valuing a law practice?
2:15 P.M. Ethical Issues in Law Practice Succession Planning
- Ted A. Waggoner
- What ethical issues are involved in law practice succession planning?
- What specific Rules of Professional Conduct have an impact on law practice succession planning?
- What are the ethical requirements of Rule 1.17 of the Rules of Professional Conduct regarding the sale of a law practice?
- How does Rule 23 of the Indiana Rules for Admission to the Bar and the Discipline of Attorneys address the issues of attorney disability and attorney surrogates?
3:15 P.M. Refreshment Break
3:30 P.M. Financial Planning for Retirement
- Warren Ward, CFP
- How much do you need when you retire?
- Basics of Social Security, Medicare, Medicare Advantage/Supplement Insurance and Long-Term Health Insurance
- Retirement planning – IRAs, 401(k)s, investments
4:30 P.M. Adjourn
To receive CLE credit for an ICLEF ON DEMAND seminar you must watch the ON DEMAND program in its entirety. ICLEF is unable to award partial CLE credit for viewing ICLEF ON DEMAND seminars.