After you purchase this material it will be downloaded to your ICLEF Online Account. After logging in to your ICLEF Online Account simply click on the "My Account" tab to access the materials.
Note: All ICLEF Publications are protected under © copyright laws of the United States and may not be disseminated, by or through any means, without prior written approval of the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF), 230 East Ohio Street, Suite 300, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 // ph: (317) 637-9102 // fax: (317) 633-8780 // e-mail: email@example.com
These agenda times pertain to the Live Seminar Program only. Please note Agenda start times may be different for the video replay locations.
THE LAWYER'S COMPASS:
Character, Ethics and Trust in Modern Legal Practice
Lawyers are different. Our role in society in general, and the legal system in particular, places great responsibility in our hands. Our ethical rules call upon us to exercise that responsibility in a manner that differentiates us positively in our modern world. Despite this opportunity, our profession suffers from ever declining levels of civility and professionalism, as well as growing negative public perceptions of our value to society and trustworthiness. At the same time, technology and competition threaten professional opportunities.
Our future success and fulfillment resides in learning how to expand trust and confidence in each of us as a practitioner and in our profession in general. Doing so requires a comprehensive review how each of us can harness the power of trust, the key driver in successful relationships, to enhance our personal and professional lives.
The Lawyer's Compass Workshop focuses your attention on the critical interplay between your character and competencies and how they combine to build trust in client relationships. In particular, you will:
• Learn How and Why Trust is the Primary Driver of Success In the
Attorney/Client Relationship and in Your Practice
• Discover How Your Character is Derived from Your Values and Actions
• Identify Your Individual Personality Type and How This Guides Your
• Walk-through a Comprehensive Review of the Model Rules of Professional
Conduct to Uncover its Inherent System of Values and Aspirations
• Learn Professional Competencies That Will Help You Quickly Build Trust in
• Discover a System for Identifying and Managing the Four Expectations That
Every Client Holds in Every Engagement
• Explore How We Derive Congruence, Satisfaction and Contentment in
• Build Your Own Lawyer's Compass to Guide Your Efforts in Building Future
Personal and Professional Fulfillment and Success
• Take an Opportunity to Reflect on How to Become “The Aspirational Lawyer”
Here's what other Indiana Lawyers who have attended John's presentation are saying about this dynamic program!
- John Moore was outstanding. High energy and doesn't "wear down"
toward the end!
- John shared information particularly helpful to meet the needs of a lawyer
who will need to adapt to the future legal profession not just on a statistical
or objective level, but on a human nature level.
- Presentation materials were excellent, including laptop software
(better than PowerPoint)
- Maybe the best CLE I've attended in 38 years of practice. Bravo. Brilliant
use of visuals, examples & outside works to prompt useful self-examination.
- Great energy and passion for the subject matter.
- Very engaging & enjoyable! You can tell Mr. Moore knows his subject matter
& is a well-researched, charismatic presenter.
- Speaker obviously loves to teach and is super enthusiastic which makes
learning from him a joy. Thanks!
- This was perfect.
- Content was presented in an engaging manner that maintained my interest.
Very thought provoking.
- Very helpful approach to ethics - makes the rules concrete and
understandable. Really appreciate the change!
- I could not believe that a single presenter could hold our attention
particularly on this subject. I was wrong. John did it.
- Thank you for taking the time to prepare & present this excellent seminar.
One of the best that I have attended.
- Excellent material. Material was substantive, relevant and meaty.
Very much needed.
- Wonderful, passionate and energy galore - love the presentation.
8:30 A.M. Registration & Coffee
9:00 A.M. Modern Practice and the Demand for Trust
The Practice of Law Today and Tomorrow
• Current State of the Legal Profession: The
Three-Dimensional Crisis and Lack of Trust
• The Future of Work: Technology and Markets Are
Causing Radical Changes to the Nature of Work
Trust Model of Legal Practice: Character and Competency
• Trust and the Lawyer Advisory Relationship
• How Do We Create Trust? Character and Competency
• Values Are the Key to Building Trust
10:30 A.M. Coffee Break
10:45 A.M. Model Rules of Professional Conduct: Our Ethics
• Status and History of the Model Rules of
• The Role of Values in Ethical Practice
• MRPC Matrix and Underlying Values
• The Broken Compass: The Rule Compliant,
12:15 P.M. Lunch Break
1:15 P.M. Generating Trust and Personal Contentment
Becoming a Trust Generator
• Trust Building Professional Competencies
• Exceeding Expectations in the Client Relationship
Contentment Theory: Values, Congruence, Satisfaction and Calling
• Values: Your Foundation
• Congruence: Matching Who You Are to Where You Are
• Satisfaction in Activity: Happiness, Fulfillment and Excellence
• Calling: Where Activity Takes Place for Others
2:45 P.M. Refreshment Break
3:00 P.M. Building the Lawyer's Compass and The Aspirational Lawyer
• Congruence Theory of the Lawyer's Compass
• What Are Your Values? How Do You Spend Your Time?
• The Lawyer's Compass Tool
• Becoming The Aspirational Lawyer
4:30 P.M. Adjourn
To receive CLE credit for an ICLEF ON DEMAND seminar you must watch the ON DEMAND program in its entirety. ICLEF is unable to award partial CLE credit for viewing ICLEF ON DEMAND seminars.